Thursday, August 13, 2009

It's been almost a year since the last time I blogged. This time around, I won't make any promises about how consistent I'll be, I'll just do what I can.

So much has happened over the past year, it would be crazy to try to recap. I'll just talk about where I am right now. I am working on myself. This may seem evident, I mean, wasn't that the whole point of this blog in the first place? This time around though, I am really looking at the places in my life where my principles don't match my practices. This time around, I am really thinking through effective ways to unite the two. 

I am working on making my dreams come true. I am starting a nonprofit. Boy, is it a learning process! Lots of on-the-job training! I am learning so much, not only about nonprofits, but also about business, money, and people's character. Stay tuned. . . 


I am also working really hard at eating (and feeding my family) well. It's one thing to know what's good for you, and what's not. It's another thing completely to be able to put health before convenience. How do you make healthy eating an integral part of your life? How do you feed a picky 2 year old without giving in and giving up? How do you make everyone happy in a family with different tastes? And how do you do all of this without being wasteful or breaking the bank? Even more, how do you eat in a way that is sustainable, and good for the planet?

All of this focus on healthy eating got me to thinking so much more about food access and justice, sustainable living, buying local and organic, and so on. So that's the next piece, really. I am trying to be more green, live more sustainably, get back to the earth, and bringing my family there with me. I want to raise my son to have an appreciation for the world around him, and to be a part of it, not just admire it from a distance. So I am learning a lot. Scouring the earth (mostly via the internet) for all the resources and info I can find.

So I am working on me by working on these things: 

• cooking more, eating better, and eating out less;
• starting a garden;
• driving less, walking and using public transit more;
• starting my organization;
• getting involved in food justice, environmental justice movements;
• spending more time outside;
• living, learning, reflecting, and doing it all over again.

Look for updates on these things and more in future blogs.

Peace and blessings!
Tamika

No comments: